Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Guest Post by Author TB Markinson

Time for another Guest Post and a very warm welcome to TB Markinson...


It’s odd. Usually when I sit down to write, words pour out of me. I love telling stories. When I started writing Marionette I couldn’t wait to get up in the morning to continue Paige Alexander’s story. Since completing the book I’ve been asked by many people why did I write this particular story. And each and every time I draw a total blank. 

That’s not completely true. I just don’t know how to explain it. You see, Paige is a lot like me, but when I say that people automatically assume that the work is autobiographical. It’s not. I am not Paige. However, I started college in Colorado in 1992. So does Paige. At the time, Colorado was in the midst of battling over Amendment Two, which involved whether or not gays and lesbians should have equal rights. Paige is also dealing with that as well. I was not out during my freshman year of college and went to great lengths to hide the fact that I was a lesbian. So does Paige in Marionette

The similarities end right about there. I didn’t want to write a memoir—maybe someday down the road, but I haven’t lived enough in my opinion. However, I wanted to ground the story with issues that I’ve been through to make the story come alive. 

There’s another reason I wanted to write this story. Back when I was nineteen, I started penning my first novel. That’s when I discovered Paige. Marionette is the second book that I’ve published, but it’s the first book that I completed. Sort of. Back then I had no clue about writing a novel. I would just sit down and write and didn’t consider the big picture: the story. Having ideas is wonderful. Stringing those ideas into one story is a completely different ballgame. 

After I published my first novel, A Woman Lost, I pulled the original Marionette out of a drawer and read it. And I laughed a lot. Not at the story, but at my writing. It was hideous. Except for Paige. I liked her a lot. I decided to shred most of what I had written but I kept Paige. It turned out to be fortunate that I kept the draft of this novel for two decades. It has been a long time since I was a teenager. Having the original manuscript helped me capture the voice of a teenager who has just left home and is figuring out the world on her own. It goes to show, don’t ever give up on your ideas. You just may need time to let them percolate in your head. Hopefully you don’t have to wait as long as I did. But I’m glad I did since I like how it turned out. Luckily the critics agree.



Praise for Marionette:

"The ending was definitely shocking and unexpected." -- This Girl Reads A Lot Blog

"I read Marionette in one sitting. Then I went back to read it again for this review and was just as delighted the second time." -- Reviewed by Jo Bryant for Blog Critics

"You know how sometimes a book just slowly creeps up on you and before you know it, you are right there, in the moment and the rest of the world has disappeared? Marionette by T. B. Markinson did that to me!" -- Tome Tender Blogspot

"The novel is full of dark humor and realistic, smart dialogue. This is an intelligent first-person novel that includes both suspense and romance." -- Lynn Kear, author of Black-Hearted Bitch

About the Author:

T. B. Markinson is a 39-year old American writer, living in England, who pledged she would publish before she was 35. Better late than never. When she isn't writing, she's traveling the world, watching sports on the telly, visiting pubs in England, or taking the dog for a walk. Not necessarily in that order. T. B. has published two novels: A WOMAN LOST and MARIONETTE.

Follow TB: Goodreads * Making My Mark * 50 Year Project  * Facebook * Twitter

Thanks, TB, for appearing on my Blog - we wish her all the very best with her books. Please share using the buttons below!